Plans for the biggest development at the R&A clubhouse since its foundation stone was laid in July 1853 have been given the go ahead by Council planning officials. Most of the work, which will roughly treble the accommodation space on site, will be carried out underground, with a large basement extension created to the North and South below the existing car park area.
The new facilities will enable the R&A to cope with increasing demand and also allow female members to use clubhouse facilities for the first time. Currently, they use a locker room at Forgan House – around 50 yards away.
Landmarks including the Cutty Sark flagpole, which was gifted to the R&A following refurbishment at Gray’s Shipyard in Essex in 1943, and the Playfair Monument, commemorating the life and works of Lord Lyon Playfair, will be carefully dismantled, refurbished and repositioned within the new layout.
No community objections to the plans were received, and Fife Council planners have now formally rubber-stamped planning permission.
Case officer William Shand said: “The proposed extension and internal and external alterations will enhance the character appearance of the listed building without damaging any features of special architectural or historic interest. It will preserve the character and appearance of the St Andrews Conservation Area and would not harm the specific qualities, character and integrity of the St Andrews Links Garden and Designed Landscape”.
“The proposal is also acceptable with regard to impact on parking and road safety and is in accordance with national policy, the Development Plan and relevant guidance.”
The developers will be required to provide full samples of external materials before work starts in 2021.